What you need
- 1/2 c vegan butter
- 1/4 c confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c flour
- pinch of salt
- crushed roasted unsalted macadamia nuts, optional
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 c sugar
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 c water
- 1 c oat milk
- 1/4 c sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 c dairy-free chocolate chips (I prefer dark!)
- Vegan whipped cream or homemade with coconut cream, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar
How to make
- Start with the crust (no mixer needed)! Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Cream vegan butter with sugar until smooth, then add vanilla.
- Add flour and salt and mix until combined. Add macadamia nuts (I like a lot!)
- Press dough into a 9 x 9 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make the Haupia and Pudding while it cools!
- In a pot on medium-high heat, whisk coconut milk with sugar.
- In a separate bowl, make a slurry of cornstarch and water.
- Once sugar is dissolved in coconut milk, pour in cornstarch slurry and whisk until Haupia comes to a slight boil.
- When you see bubbles at the surface and Haupia has thickened, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In a pot on medium-high heat, whisk oat milk with sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Pour in dry mixture in pot once sugar is dissolved.
- Add chocolate chips.
- When you see bubbles at the surface and Pudding has thickened, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Your crust should be mostly cooled by now, so it's time to assemble the pie!
- Pour Pudding mixture over crust and smooth out to edges.
- Dollop Haupia over pudding and smooth out, making sure not to ruin the Pudding layer.
- Cover pie with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Top with your favorite vegan whipped cream, slice, and enjoy :)